Friday, April 18, 2014




Breastfeeding!!!!

Just so you know, my baby is grumpy today, which means I have to type this partly one-handed because she is only content in my arms... go me!

And I'm going to be a hunchback soon. But my arm may fall off before that happens.

Also, my baby smells. I need to give her a bath. A bath that actually makes her clean. It's so hard trying to give a bath when she screams bloody murder. I'll let you know my secrets on infant bathing when I figure them out, but for now I will get on to the point, which is breastfeeding! Admit it, you were hoping the first real post of mine was going to be about breastfeeding, right? I have a bunch of friends who are first time pregnant ladies, and this post is for them, and anyone who is planning for the future :)

When I was pregnant I would read lots of mommy blogs on "what to expect" or "things I wish I had known before I gave birth" kind of posts, and I suppose this is mine. I am not going to give the obvious, or well documented tips, because you probably already know those. And I know every pregnancy, delivery, every woman's body, and breastfeeding experiences are different, but perhaps my extensive three-and-a-half-week experience in breastfeeding might shed some light for you.

The number one product that has helped my breastfeeding experience is Medela Soft Shells. And I'll tell you why they're so great.
                                                                           
1. When you start breastfeeding your nipples will be sore and you will not want anything touching them, even your shirt. The shells help by allowing your nipples to be FREE while you are able to be clothed and feeling more comfortable.

2 . When your milk comes in, your breasts will get engorged. Not so fun. Like for real. Before this happens your baby will wake you up in the middle of the night because they're hungry. When your milk first comes in and you are engorged, you will be tempted to wake your baby up (or in my case actually wake them up) because you need them to get the milk out!! The Soft Shells help by keeping your nipples from getting so engorged that your baby can't get a good latch. And believe me, being engorged + a bad latch = mucho pain!

3. If you are anything like me, you will leak. Count on it happening every day, and if it doesn't you can count your lucky stars! I have one friend that never leaks (jerk), so it could happen to you too. You can leak when you're engorged or, oddly enough, when you start breastfeeding on one side- the other side can start leaking.
This one is kind of self-explanatory, but I'll say it anyways. Soft Shells help by catching the leaks! (Although if you're not careful you will leak out of the ventilation holes anyways)

Moving right along, the number two product I wish I had is a breast pump.

                                                                               

 I do not have a breast pump yet, which is dumb. The first night my milk came in I was in so much pain, but it was too late to go to the store. I figured if I could make it through that night then I didn't REALLY need a pump, which is technically true. After a few days to a week your body regulates itself so it knows the appropriate amount of milk to make. BUT, I'm going to want a pump eventually if I ever want  to leave baby girl with dad or a baby sitter in the next year. So this will be one of my next purchases. You new moms will probably want one right from the beginning unless you are masochistic, which is apparently what I am.

The best website, of course of google, but specific to mom stuff it's kellymom.com. I had the hardest time breastfeeding at first because my sweet girl would get a good latch (which took 4 or 5 times to get right), suck for a few seconds, then pull away, only to try and re-latch immediately. To top it off my baby would start choking in the middle of nursing. Wow this was frustrating and scary! I didn't know if this was a "thing" some babies did, or not, and kelly mom answered my questions! Apparently you can have milk that comes out too fast and the baby can't keep up with it (thus the choking, and pulling away). This is called forcefull let-down. Now I feed her at an incline, with her head higher than her body, burp her frequently, and even encourage breaking the latch if it seems she is really frantic while feeding. This has helped so much! Thank you kellymom.com!!

The number one best advice came from my mom. She said that in 10 minutes your baby will have eaten 80% of your milk (if they're eating well), so you can feed the babe for 10-20 minutes on one side and then switch. I am guilty, especially at the beginning, of nursing Parker for however long she wanted, until she pulled away for good. This means sometimes I would nurse her for 45 minutes on ONE SIDE, and by that time she was DONE eating. Then I think to myself, "Oh crap, if she doesn't eat on the other side I will be so engorged by the next time she's hungry." And I just have to suck it up because I was stupid. So try to feed your baby on both breasts during each feeding or else you will be sorry.

The number two best advice is swaddling your little one's arms down while you feed him/her. This makes feeding them so much easier! I know this one is a well-known tip, but it really works!


So there you have it, the most important things I have learned about breastfeeding so far. And speaking of breastfeeding, my baby is hungry!





4 comments:

  1. Love what you're learning :) I personally would recommend the Medela double breast electric pump. I had a horrible time with my handheld manual pump I bought the first time around (I actually stopped producing and gave up breastfeeding at 6months, sad face). I never did the shields, but I always did pads for the leaks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Mindy! This is great! I know it will help me a lot. Keep it up, because I'm already a dedicated reader! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Mindy. I'm just so impressed that Parker has gained so much weight. Way to go!
    This blog post has made me realize that perhaps I should record some of this things I learned about breastfeeding before I forget, although I don't think I have the courage to post publicly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I know what you mean Chelsy. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete