Monday, June 30, 2014

Annual Meal Planning

That's right, I said ANNUAL.

If you're anything like me you have a hard time meal planning. Coming up with meals that sound good to eat each week can be so frustrating! Plus, my husband and I are somewhat picky, in that we dislike eating the same meals frequently even if we really like them. This got me thinking a couple weeks ago, and thus the annual meal plan was born!

I started by making a list of all the meals we enjoy eating. I looked at my Pinterest boards to see what meals we tried and liked (I ended up creating a new board for "Tried and True Meals" which saves me from scrolling as much!) (I also have a "Tried and True Sides and Snacks" board, and "Tried and True Sweets" FYI). I also looked through family recipe books and other random places to recall meals we don't eat frequently. but like nonetheless.  

I stuck the recipes all into this spread sheet and then decided how often we would realistically like to eat them. Once a month would be 12, Every other month is 6, and so on... 



Meal IdeasHow Many Times Per Year
Thai Peanut Curry Stir Fry6
Breaded Chicken Alfredo Sauce Pasta 12
Homemade Pizza 12
Dry BBQ Rub Chicken & Veggies3
Enchiladas4
Quiche12
Easy Enchilada Noodle Bake4
Tuna Casserole4
Breakfast For Dinner12
Ridiculous Salad34
Crunch Wraps 6
Mexi Chicken Tacos (P)4
Carbonara3
Lasagna3
Chicken Cordon Bleu3
Easy Sesame Chicken (P)4
Sweet & Sour Meatballs & Rice4
Homemade Cafe Rio2
Homemade Burgers4
Red Curry4
Indian Butter Chicken4
Chagraple Sandwich6
BLT4
PW Meatball Marinara Sliders2
Corned Beef & Cabbage1
Million $ Spaghetti2
Loaded Baked Potatoes3
Sloppy Joes1
Crepes4
Braided Stromboli2
Mom's BBQ Meatballs1
Mom's Tomato Pork Chops1
Garbanzo Bean Pasta4
Spicy Cauliflour Stir Fry (PW)2
Bruchetta w/ Leeks, Goat Cheese & Bacon (PW)1
Chicken Pot Pie2
Broccoli Wild Rice Casserole2
Chicken Pad Thai (P)3
Taco Salad2
Red Curry Lentils (P)1
Baked Teryaki Chicken2
Barley Leek Soup2
Zupa's Garden Chowder2
Garlic Bean Soup2
Chicken Noodle Soup2
White Chicken Chili2
Lentil Soup2
Chicken Tortilla Soup w/Fritos2
Pasta e Fagioli2
Lamb Veggie Soup2
Total Meals Planned208
Goal for 4 days/week208

The only meal I have planned for more than once a month is salad, because it's good for you... I mean me... I mean us.

The recipes in red are ones that I've never tried before or that I want to tweak. The ones in blue are soups/stews. I really love soup, but my husband doesn't so much. I wanted them all lumped together in the master list so that when I plugged them into the calendar I wouldn't have more than 2 soups planned for one month. The recipes with a (P) next to it means it's from Pinterest, and the (PW) means it's from http://thepioneerwoman.com

Which brings me to the next step: Plugging all the meals in a calender. I did this in the same spreadsheet, just to the right of the master list.  Since every month has a different amount of days in it I went through a calender to see exactly how many meals I would need. For example July has 31 days, so for 4 meals per week (M-Th) I would need to plan 19 meals. But in August, using the same method, I only need to plan 16 meals. 

I started by putting in the meals we wanted to eat every month- that's easy. Then I spaced the others out evenly (or as evenly as I could) according to how many times we would eat them in a year. I was also season-conscious. I put heartier meals in the winter months and more salads in the summer.

I planned for 4 meals a week. I originally wanted to do 5, but once I started this process I realized it was unrealistic. What do we do the other 3 days/week? Eat leftovers, easy meals such as quesadillas or mac & cheese, go out to eat, or eat at a friend's house. 



Here's what mine looks like:

July (19)Aug (16)
Breaded Chicken Alfredo Sauce Pasta Breaded Chicken Alfredo Sauce Pasta
Homemade Pizza Homemade Pizza
QuicheQuiche
Breakfast For DinnerBreakfast For Dinner
Ridiculous SaladRidiculous Salad
Ridiculous SaladRidiculous Salad
Ridiculous SaladRidiculous Salad
Ridiculous SaladRidiculous Salad
Thai Peanut Curry Stir FryCrunch Wraps
Chagraple SandwichEasy Enchilada Noodle Bake
Tuna CasseroleSweet & Sour Meatballs & Rice
Mexi Chicken Tacos (P)Bruchetta w/ Leeks, Goat Cheese & Bacon (PW)
Homemade BurgersGarbanzo Bean Pasta
BLTCarbonara
Loaded Baked PotatoesBraided Stromboli
Taco SaladLentil Soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup w/Fritos
Red Curry
Spicy Cauliflour Stir Fry (PW)
Dried FruitMango Sticky Rice
Fruit Leather

At the bottom of every month I put a treat or dessert I want to make so that I can plan for special ingredients and we won't have the same boring chocolate chip cookies all the time (okay, okay chocolate chip cookies are delicious and never boring). 

Meal planning is not non-existent because I did this, it just takes all the stress out of it! Every week I pick 4 meals I want to make from that month's list and then all I have to do is figure out which ingredients I need!

I love the flexibility of the whole plan. I am so grateful I did this, because now meal planning is easy peasy! I also love it because it helps me figure out what I need for food storage. I can stock up on items we eat frequently when they come on sale, because I know what we're eating!

The whole things is just lovely to me. If you're anything like me I highly recommend trying it, although be aware that I took me about 6 hours to bust it all out. I think it's worth it though. 6 hours once versus agonizing hours every week is just fine with me.


                

No comments:

Post a Comment